Sunday, September 7, 2025

More Mill Reflections - Sept 2025 🇫🇷









After 10 days away in Cajarc and a mini tour of the Dordogne, I have now had the opportunity for further reflections on the mill. My reflection on 1st August highlighted a series of unfortunate circumsatnces at the start of our visit in late July, nameley the quad taking so much time to be serviced and the idiot who dropped the front of the quad off the van, the non-existent internet when we first arrived, let down by Orange who initially stated fibre could be instaled for free, when of course, it could not. The hot tub is breaking down and still not working despite replacing the circuit board and a somewhat stressful family visit. The French, in my mind, will always be awkward, and they have their own culture of not giving a damn about anyone or anything but themselves. C’est la vie. Laissez-faire! French food remains awful! The wine significantly better.


Now that everything has calmed down a bit, I can see through the trees and not be obstructed by them (in a literal sense as well!) We have Starlink installed, and although not super-fast (still 33% out of alignment and a few obstructions), it is very much doable for all areas of the mill and we can stream and Facetime successfully with no data restrictions.. The quad (now called ‘Moose’) is performing well, and the mill itself looks good from our attention to trimming, strimming and mowing.


There will always be jobs, and I must embrace them. The trees will always need trimming and felling to stop encroachment to the mill house itself. The hot tub still needs attention, and so, I expect will other things in the future. Fortis in Arduis.


My reflection includes the weather and how wonderful it is when the sun is out, how magical the sparkling river is, how wonderful the stars are in an unpolluted sky, how engaging the wildlife, heard and mainly seen on trailcam, how peaceful the woods, and how amazing the cabin. Yes, a cabin in the woods! Our woods, our cabin! And a river through the property. The forest areas and the wildlife. Why don’t I see how amazing the place is, and why don’t I recognise the importance of it in my life? Well, I do now, and I am not turning my back on the place. Meditations by the stone circle, sitting on the Isthmus stumps, watching the wildlife on the deck, paddling through the low river, sitting at the fire circle, walking along the strimmed paths along the riverside, the meadow walk, the wildwood walk and the mill walk. There will always be jobs, there will always be issues, there will always be the travelling - but there will always be the wonderment of Forest Life, The Mill, Le Moulin Bleu.