Friday, August 29, 2025

Mill Reflections - July Aug 2025 🇫🇷


 






I have always had a love/hate relationship with the Mill. On one hand it is stunning, beautiful, full of wildlife and nature. It is relaxing and quiet. On the other hand it can be frustrating, annoying and certainly very hard work. As it is set in woodland, there is always something to do on the land. A lot of the time, the woods feels to be encroaching on the Mill. I think I've identified this as in July when, of course, the leaves on the trees are fully out. It just seems that this is the case. Nevertheless, we still have to keep everything cut back, especially the hazel which just grows and grows.

Things always seem to be a mission. About 5 weeks before this visit the networks went down. Joy reset the electricity but there seemed to be a wider issue. When we arrived there was no networks whatever. Not just ByTel but everything was down. I had steeled myself for such an event and stocked up on film downloads, books and magazines. It was still annoying though that normally we would just go up to the coffee shop on top of the drive, but on this occasion there was still nothing there. It was obvious there was a transmitter or road router down.


We went to Gioux to get a network and feebly tried to make contact with ByTel without much success.  It as time for more action. I had researched fibre installation in the UK. The Mill was eligible and so we ordered the installation via Orange there and then. All indications form the operator is that it can be installed no matter the distance to the Mill. We shall see! The equipment is coming on Monday and the engineer on Tuesday. I have deep doubts.


We have had an issue with the hot tub for about a year now. When the jets are on full power they only last a couple of minutes until they switch off. They come on randomly again. We were advised it might be the top panel controller. We bought one and tested it out. Unfortunately this didn't fix the issue, so we are back to square one. At least it keeps warm and does work albeit randomly.


I know Diem would be upset if we decided to sell the Mill. I'm not quite there as being fed up enough to sell yet. But I do think that we could travel further and have more adventures in Hobby if we didn't have the Mill. It is sort of like a proverbial millstone around the neck. We also have to figure out how much the mill is costing on an annual basis. I know diem is frustrated with the language barrier and we have both been lazy about not learning French, After 9 years we could easily be in a position to have a reasonable conversation. Having said all this, the first week is always the hardest as there is a lot to do. The weather hasn't helped as we have had rain every day except for the day I managed to do all the strimming, which was good news. As the sun comes out for the start of a new week, I will take a pause... and reflect in a week's time.


Into week 3 and the frustrations are still there. This is mainly to do with the French! Orange decided they could not install fibre without a cost despite saying it was free and the moto shop in Ussel where the quad is being serviced have not got back to us after 10 days. They eventually delivered the quad and promptly let it half fall off the van as the ramps weren't fitted properly! The driver was useless and I managed to reposition the ramps so we could push the quad off the back. Luckily no damage. It was a cheap service but only the oil and oil filters plus a diagnostic was undertaken. We are not going there again!


We have ordered Starlink. The equipment was €90 and the subscription is €40 per month. A small price to pay for consistency hopefully. Gary is coming out to instal when Mummio arrives with a pole. Orange still haven't sent a voucher to send back their equipment. Starlink equipment has arrived. Quad (now named Moose) appears to be working ok.


I had a good meditation and balance is being restored. I look around. This is everything I have always wanted. I have said that many times. An old cottage (mill) with woods and a river. Yes, i have to travel almost 3 days (in 4 hour stints) to get here but after week one sorting out it is magical. The weather helps. It is now sunny and warm. Get a grip!