It has been an interesting period since the summer solstice. We had to come back from France earlier because of a family wedding in early August. Since then we have travelled around Warwickshire seeing Mummio and Diem’s friends. It wasn’t really my ideal summer but it was OK nevertheless.
We ended up back at the boat and we were going out in Acionna, but instead, Diem decided to view some properties in the Midlands. We always knew we were going to move form the boat but that would be a move to 399. I understand why Diem wants to move to the Midlands and primarily that is because of Mummio. Diem sees Mummios low platelet count as an issue as does Mummio but I’m not so sure. She seems to be in good health otherwise.
We viewed about 6 properties and they didn’t tick as many boxes as we first thought. I was quite pleased that Diem felt the same, although I could tell she was disappointed. It was only at our last viewing of the week in Ovestone, Northants that we liked a detached bungalow at 41 Woodlands Avenue, Ovestone that we thought this might be in contention. It was listed at £325k . I know we can raise comfortable £260k with some left over. Mummio said she would loan us £100k which we would pay back on the sale of the boat and in 2027 when a find would kick out £48k.
We have decided to have a second viewing to answer some questions and look at a few things in more depth. We would then make a decision and perhaps put in an offer. The problem for me is that do I want to move here rather than 399? There is no doubt that ‘Woodlands’ is latch-key ready, whereas 399 will need a lot of maintenance. of course there’s the sea and health to consider. Woodlands does seem to have a fair amount of nature opportunity with a reservoir a couple of nature parks (no forest) and woodland at the rear of the property.
Update – Friday 27 September 2024
As soon as we decided to put in an offer and sort out what furniture we wanted to include, the agent called us and said the sellers were going to take the property off the market. Apparently their mother was diagnosed with cancer therefore they would not be considering a move. I was more upset than I thought I would be. Diem is continuing her hunt and extending towards Gloucestershire.
Updates – 3rd October 2024
Diem had a brainwave of revisiting our very first viewing, Rectory close in Crick. We liked the property but decided there was no storage space and Hobby may be a problem even though it had a large drive. The village was good but there was the warehousing at Dirft which might be an issue. Nevertheless after some thought we decided to pit in the offer at the offer price which included some furniture.
On 7th October our offer was accepted. There were no chains so the sale went through extremely quickly.there was an issue of trying to get our solicitors to accept our cash was not the proceeds of crime and I had to go back to Mums inheritance and DWP payout. We returned early from France to exchange contracts and ended up paying the full amount.
We completed on 22 November, the day before my birthday. We are now the proud owners of 29 Rectory Close, Crick, or 29RC or Village Life.
We had three journeys to get all our kit from the boat. Diem has worked miracles with the furniture, with much from charity stores but the main bedroom and lounge furniture is new.
Update 23 December 2024
This will be the last entry of this Property Hunt journal entry. After a holiday in The Gambia we have returned and continues setting up the house. Bedroom, snug, kitchen and studio are all but completed. The lounge will almost be completed on 2 Jan when the furniture arrives. We have a short list of snags and things to do for example removing some of the front garden wall to make it easier for parking Hobby. We have discovered a bowing in the dormer roof, but we think that will be fine. Other snags can be easily managed. It will be different. I like the house and the village. I need to explore the area for walks a bit more as the young woods are 20 mins walk and the Bridleway is extremely muddy. Jooie and I are using the recreation ground for walks. I think we will all be just fine.