Protected Page
Around 1994 I met Gardiner at Wethersfield. He was starting courses and I was, at the time a DC in Colchester. We hit it off immediately and we soon started talking about what I could bring to his company. I started building his website and bringing forensic evidence presentation and interview skills to the table.
I carried on in this capacity until Hawkins took GATR on. There seemed to be other learning opportunities int the world of fire investigation and I looked at online learning. I discovered Moodle and presented that as a viable means of delivering online learning. Meanwhile, the National Occupational Standards were introduced and brought assessment-based leaning and criteria to the fire investigation world. Jack (forgotten last name) and myself build up a level 5 assessment covering the criteria as laid down by Skilld for Justice Awards (SFJA.) We started delivering the award at Phoenix Heights, Wethersfield and I became GATR’s Head of Centre, successfully running the assessments. The Level 2 online course was developed and I ran that assessment process as head of centre as well.
Hawkins realised that GATR was not making money and they proposed a buy out by the GATR management (Mick and Jill.) The reformed GATR was head by Jill as MD and 7 directors including myself.
During the previous years I has seen GATR’s failings, due mainly to Mick Gardiner’s micro-management and insistence of leading the company. I attempted through the board to rectify and suggest imporvements. I was also unhappy about the lack of company safeguarding e.g. policies, and data protection. I became the policy writer and head of ICT. I had successfully transitioned the company to MS Office 365 in its entirety.
Unfortunately, most of my suggestions were met with derision and all my ideas were negated. We started board-room arguments and I wasn’t backed up by some fellow directors who seemed to be embedded with Mick. Jill was a conceited person was no use as an MD but seemed to think her position as MD was enough to throw her considerable weight around.
In the end, I was accused of not providing resilience and being the elephant in the room. I had no option but to resign as director, head of centre (1st Feb) and head of ICT on 1st April 2023. This was a highly stressful period for me. The arguments made me anxious and irritated. I was relieved when I handed in my resignation as director.
For the following year, I continued running the assessments, especially the online course. I knew that the rest of GATR associates were poised to take over as I was required to provide walk-through videos covering the running of the site, which I completed. I was certainly in a better place. The hours worked dropped quite considerably but at least I was not under pressure.
Luckily I planned for exit. I had not relied on GATR income for living cost except for my phone and the boats vodaphone. I also paid the websites out of GATR income – but I planned on exit within the year. The only thing I would miss financially is the ability to buy ‘kit!’
On Friday 5th April 2032, both Hannah and I received an email which terminated our employment with GATR. I was not shocked but annoyed that, after 30 years, Hannah and I were given 3.5 hours notice (the work terminated at midnight. This was callous, cynical and uncalled for.
In true GATR fashion, by trying to be clever, they omitted to realise that I had files on the personal area of the GATR MS Office 365. I am now making the most of this and chasing them for compensation. I will not go as far as taking legal action, but I will make the most of this by going to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO.)
This will be continued for as long as I wish.
Update November 2024
After a fair few months of to-ing and fro-ing we have at least reached a settlement. My first demand was £7500 compensation. They responded with £1000 each for Diem and I. I refused and quoted the Employment act even though we weren’t contracted. This stated they had to provide us 3 months notice and offer work during those three which they did not. I responded with a demand of £3000 each to which they agreed Without Prejudice. I finally received the money at the mend if November. Certainly an end of an era.
These are the most arrogant, ignorant and stupid people I have ever come across but I earned a bit of money and learned a huge amount about web and Moodle. I can hold my head up and so can Diem!