Monday, March 3, 2025

Acionna Narrowboat ⛴️

 








It seems a long time looking back from today to the time Ritz and I went to Aylesbury in 2012 to view the boat. It was known then as the Jolly Roger, after Roger Martin, the previous owner. It was he who showed us around.


Ritz and I went to the cafe on the marina and she decided to buy the boat there and then. At the time, we were very new and I really didn’t have say as to whether or not Ritz bought the boat or not.


She bought the boat, and subsequently, in September, we moved her from Aylesbury to her new moorings in April Island, which had been prearranged with the island owners, Stephanie and Dudley Blake. Soon after the boat moored, I realised that Jo had left Wethersfield, which led to Ritz and I becoming a permanent item.


Most of the story with the newly named Acionna was a happy one. We had a few trips up and down the River Stort and up the River Lee. Once, in 2022, we went on a longer cruise to see Ritz’s ailing Dad, following the Grand Union Canal and turning onto the Oxford canal. We had to make a few modifications to the boat to turn it from a weekend cruiser to a liveaboard. We put in an inverter and upgraded the water pump. 


We had a couple of issues such as a flood when the water pump sprang a leak. This resulted us in making the decision to redo the floor in oak which looked superb. Obviously, dampness took its toll especially when we left the boat for a couple of months in winter to go to France. There were a few other issues with the boat. The old saying that you are just waiting for the next thing to go wrong rang true! Maintainance is also an issue. Every March and September I was found removing rust or gutting out the boat. Everyone commented on how nice the boat looked though, even 12 years later, when the paintwork isn’t as good as it should be.


The Island was generally good to us as well. We enjoyed looking out of the boat windows and looking to the bank to see the wildlife and wildfowl.  The kingfishers were obvious favourites and had a special connection with the boat being a Liverpool Kingfisher class. 


The years took their toll though and we decided, after 12 years, that it was just too challenging to spend another winter on the boat. A property hunt was on the way in September 2024. We bought 29RC in November 2024, got the boat valued at £60k in February 2025 and moved away from the island and into Roydoin Marina (boat sales) on 1st March 2025.


I have some fond memories of the boat. Both dogs loved the boat and I loved the island, (but not particularly the people on the island -especially Dudley and Stephanie Blake who did nothing we asked for and seemed deliberately obstructive. 


Did I shed a tear for the boat? Well, no, not really. It was a timely end of an era. I will miss some aspects but it was quite hard work.


I will attempt to always keep a page open in 4RLife as a memorial or reminder of what Acionna was. To us, she was our life, our companion and our home. Perhaps one day I will shed a tear.


YouTube video of the last trip 1-3 March 2025





https://sites.google.com/view/4rlife/projects/acionna


*UPDATE* 


1 April 2025. We had an offer of £54,000. We went back with £55k, which was accepted. The offer is subject to a survey, which will take place on the 9th April 2024.

 

9 April 2025 - Survey completed with no issues found. Purchaser apparently keen to complete.


23 April 2025 - Boat *SOLD* officially and money in the bank.