Saturday, August 28, 2021

Tracking Journal - Knowledge of the Quarry

Journal – Knowledge of the Quarry – Namibia

Warm and sunny – 16C Wind Sl SW

Although I was nervous leading these expert trackers and three knowledgeable colleagues, I was really enjoying myself. The tracks were fresh and let’s face it, what could be easier than tracking in the red sand of Namibia. 

The tracks meandered in and out of the bushvelt and I could even tell the pace the animal was moving which was a fast walk occasionally transitioning into a trot. I was even looking up and ahead; the first time I realised how beneficial this technique was. I was now speeding up as well as I visualised catching up with the duiker (I had been told by the guide that this was the name of the antelope we were tracking.)

Suddenly and without warning the tracks disappeared! I stopped abruptly – gathered my thoughts, looked around and… still gone! I walked back a couple of steps remembering the ‘lost spoor’ procedure and circled around the last known track. Nothing. 

I heard giggles from behind me. Something was going on! I looked at the bushmen. They were laughing behind their hands which set off my guide as well. Instead of pursuing the ‘lost cause of the lost spoor’ I shrugged my shoulders and put up my hands as if to surrender. “What are you tracking?” came the question after translation from their ‘click’ language. “A duiker.” came my reply. “…and that means ‘diver’ in Africaans,” said my guide. “It dives into bushes when spooked.” On cue, one of the bushmen promptly walked over to a bush that was at least 10 meters away. The tracks were indeed under the bush and led out in the opposite direction from where we came. 

It really does make sense to have knowledge of the quarry – even if it is just a translation of the name!

extracted from “Master Tracker” – published by Apple Books